Transcontinental Adventure to the Arctic Circle and back.

Departing early August 2010. Approx 10,000 miles (give or take a thousand). About 24 days.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

North Dakota.

As I was coming back into the States, the border patrol asked me a lot of questions, which I guess is normal. He then wanted to see inside my duffel bag and asked me to pull forward a few feet. I said, "Right here, eh?". He immediately said "On second thought, pull over there to that nice cool garage!".

Doh!

I was then swarmed by four nice guys with uniforms and guns. Seriously, they were really nice. ...and chatty. I unlocked everything and they sat me in a cool AC'd room with no windows. One popped his head in and asked me about a rubber hose I was carrying and what's it purpose. I didn't know what he was talking about and could see them getting nervous. Then I said, "oh, that's attached to my air pump. You know- to blow up my air mattress.".

So a few minutes went by and they called me back out to the bike. One guard was still real chatty, and asked me again where I was from (for about the tenth time). He then asked if I was a Browns or Steelers fan. I said, "Niether. I'm not really much of a football fan, sir!". So we chatted a little more and I mentioned that being a Pittsburgh fan might get you beat up and said "actually, being a Browns fan might too! In Cincinnati, we have the....". He cut me off, nodded his head, said "the Bengals", and grinned as if to really say "That's the answer I was looking for!".

I was then free to go. ;)

Sent from my BlackBerry.

1 comment: